Featured Posts

AD 7

Thursday 6 October 2016

When I saw him, I burst into fresh tears because he was looking so tired and dirty. I held him tight and took him inside...


About two weeks ago, my mom fell ill, so me and the boys went to her place to take care of her. She had a live-in help before but she sacked him when he went out one day and returned the next day, reeking of alcohol. So, we were at her place when I had the most terrible experience of my life.
Last week Tuesday, two of my committee members,  and me went shopping for our just concluded hangout. I knew my mom was in no state to watch three active boys so I called my former help, Stella to come help watch the boys until I returned from the market.

My house guest, Ruth Williams Chikodilli had earlier travelled with her kids, so I had to call Stella. We were done shopping and were at Obehi's place to drop some of the stuff when my mom called me that they had been looking for my son, Derek for the past hour. I couldn't breathe for a moment because I couldn't imagine what I was hearing. I asked where Stella was when Derek left the house and she said no one knew when he left. There was some construction work going on upstairs, and the sand the workers were using was outside the compound, so they left the small gate open. That was how Derek sneaked out.
Derek is my special needs baby, so I drummed into Stella's ears to lock the doors and keep the keys far from his reach. He doesn't understand danger. Derek can see a lion or a snake and start chasing it. Derek could enter a forest at 2am without any fear. Derek would ignore a stranger's questions. Derek has not succeeded in memorizing my phone number so, I began to imagine the worst. What if he fell into a ditch? What if he was hit by a car? What if he met with bad people? What if I never found him?
I started to pray as I jumped into the cab with Sis Obehi in tow and we raced home. When we got to the house, we went round my area, screaming his name. But there was no answer. I was asked to go to the police station to check if someone had found him and taken him there, so, Sis Obehi and I raced to Ugbor police station but he wasn't there. We were asked to try the police station at Limit road, and we went but he wasn't there either. Then I started crying because I couldn't imagine where my baby boy was. The police men tried to allay my fears, they told me I would find him but I didn't believe them at that moment.
I begged Sis Obehi many times to go home to her own kids as one of them was ill that day, but she refused. She stayed with me till 8pm before she finally left. Please, thank her for me.
Meanwhile, I had earlier called my pastor and sent a message to the women in my church and everybody started praying. I couldn't pray much but I started talking to God. I remembered the scripture which said I should present my strong reasons to Him and I started talking. I told Him I couldn't sleep that night without my baby, how could I? How could I sleep knowing that my baby could be lying hurt somewhere? I told God that He knows how much I love the people He cares about, how much I love and give so much of myself to others and to His house, I reminded Him of the 30 Day Bible Verse Challenge I was doing on my facebook wall, and I asked what people would say if they heard this kind of thing happened to me after posting scriptures on my wall. I asked Him what atheists would say. I reminded Him that He just had to defend His integrity.
By this time, it was almost 9pm. I went back home and just sat outside, crying. A few minutes later, I got up again to go look for Derek and my mom tried to stop me. I told her there was no way I could sit and wait. I would go out. As I came out of the compound, I saw my mom's neighbors, a man and his wife and I told them what was going on. Immediately, the man started praying. All I could mutter was "Amen." The man got on his knees and prayed a simple prayer. He just asked God to return Derek to me that night, and he got up and told me that before the next morning the matter would be solved. I thanked him and started to set out. I decided to call my ex and tell him about Derek, and he started yelling that I better look for that boy. I was too weak to say anything to him and he hung up. He called back to ask if I had checked with my neighbors and I said I had. He began to yell again and this time, something snapped inside of me. I told him to stop yelling, and that if that was all he had to say, he should stay off my phone until I called to tell him I found Derek. And I hung up.
About 10 minutes later, my sister called me that someone called her that they found a little boy at Iyeke-Ogba. She wanted to know what Derek was wearing and I told her. Derek left the house with a sweat shirt and underpants. No trouser and no shoe. She said the boy they found was wearing a sweat shirt and a tight trouser and my heart fell. But I called her back and told her to ask the person to get his name, and I began to pray for Derek to answer. She called me back and said the person said he answered, "Derick"
I began to run towards the junction and she said they were going there to check. I told her I was coming to meet them but she said I should not bother. I didn't heed her at all. By this time my cab guys (past and present) were with me. As we were driving off, she called me again that they were almost there. Long story short, when they got there, it was my Derek. He had wandered into one woman's shop, and sat there and was playing with her dog. The woman, Mama Precious, said she waited for a long time for him to leave but he didn't. Then she started asking him questions but he refused to answer. She decided to take him round the area, asking everyone if they knew him, but nobody did. That's when it occurred to her that he was lost, so she sent word out, and her word met ours, and that's how Derek was found.
My sister brought my baby to me. When I saw him, I burst into fresh tears because he was looking so tired and dirty. I held him tight and took him inside. By this time it was past 11pm. I gave him a hot bath and a warm meal and he looked himself again afterwards. He fell asleep immediately, and I just kept staring at him in awe. I couldn't believe it was him in my bed. I began to thank God again and again. He proved Himself faithful to His Word, and I appreciate everything He has done for me.
I called Sis Obehi and told her Derek had been found and she broke down and cried tears of relief. I also called my ex and he sounded relieved too.
Derek sure needs to go to a special needs school, and I have started the necessary steps to get him into one. These schools are not cheap hence the delay ever since but I am going to do whatever it takes to get him into one. Someone recommended a school here in Benin to me, and I have visited the school. Hopefully, he will join them soon.
A lot of my Benin Finsters were calling my phone that day because of their T-shirts but I couldn't answer. I understand you sisters were upset you couldn't reach me, I'm sorry. As you can read, it was not intentional at all. Thanks for your patience and for an awesome hangout.
I give God thanks for returning my son to me unhurt, and because I have come out to testify of His goodness, I have overcome. Glory to God!
Thanks to everyone who assisted me in prayers and in searching for Derek. God bless you all greatly.
Long live FIN.
I. See. You.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Share This

femalesinnigeria@gmail.com